March 13, 2009

Pantry Update

The last couple of days have been about updating our pantry. Our can goods and toiletries are doing pretty well -- I'm guessing about two to three weeks worth -- though our canning this summer will certainly add to the mix. Our goal is six months of food stored in a rotating pantry. The big need right now is an upright freezer.

We're also continuing to purge. We have quite the pile ready for a Goodwill trip and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, a dumpster in the driveway that's piling up, as well. Simplify!

Seedlings are doing great. Still sprouting. I now have some peppers coming up, as well as some Butterking lettuce. I'm calling a guy tonight about a couple of 2' x 4' fluorescent fixtures that I can convert to additional grow lights. My goal is to create a year-round food production system in the basement.

Yesterday, I stopped by Starbucks and picked up a bag of coffee grounds for the compost pile. I have about a half a trash can of compost, now. I'm also thinking of starting a worm bin in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I need advise, critique and encouragement. I don't need spam, filth or hate.