March 31, 2009

How Our Garden Grows: Update

Well, we're still a week or so away from our final frost date, so there's not much in the ground, yet. Actually, I had to clear two inches of global warming off of my windshield this morning, so frost is the least of my concerns.

The only plants I have outside, so far, are in containers. My hope is that I'll finish our raised beds this weekend and begin planting some of the frost-resistant stuff. We were planning on a vacation, but the transmission just went out in our minivan...so kiss that one goodbye. Garden, here I come!

I've expanded the growing system in the basement to include a total of eight 4' grow lights...and I'm using every bit of them and then some. In fact, I've maxed out the space and really need to get these plants outside. So my boys and I have almost completed a 4' x 4' cold frame. I hope to move it outside and begin moving plants out yet this week.

Here's a list of all I've planted to date. Unless otherwise listed, every plant listed below started in a peat pellet under grow lights.

Planted 4 Weeks Ago
  • Broccoli, Calabrese: 4 plants in mid-sized pots, 4-6" high
  • Lettuce, Sucrine: 6 plants in long containers outside, 3-4" leaves
  • Lettuce, Little Caesar: 6 plants in long containers outside, 3-4" leaves
Planted 3.5 Weeks Ago
  • Pepper, Chinese Giant (Sweet): 4 plants in 4" peat pots, 4" tall
  • Tomato, Tess' Land Rush Currant Red: 4 plants in mid-sized pots, 10+" tall and vining
  • Pepper, Ancho Poblano: 4 plants in 4" peat pots, 4+" tall
  • Tomato, Amana Orange: 4 plants in 4" peat pots, 4-5" tall
  • Chard, Rainbow Mix: 4 plants growing in outside containers, 4" leaves
  • Beetberry (Strawberry Spinach): 4 plants growing in an outside container, 4" tall...though they were bit limp because of the amount of cold rain we've received. I moved them back inside to control their watering for awhile. They seem to have now picked up quite a bit.
  • Yarrow: Required a lot of thinning to get down to 2 strong plants, 3" tall in 4" peat pots
  • Pepper, Chocolate (Sweet): 2 plants in 4" peat pots, 4" tall
  • Mint, Assorted: Required a lot of thinning to get down to 3 plants, 1-2.5" -- three are in 4" peat pots, one is in outside herb container with Oregano.
  • Lettuce, Butterking: 4 plants, three in outside containers (4" growth), one in 4" peat pot...will need transferred soon, though.
Planted 3 Weeks Ago
  • Oregano, Greek: Thinned to four 2" plants, three in an outside herb pot and one in a 4" peat pot. One of the outside plants has since gone the way of the dodo.
  • Rhubarb, Glaskin's Perpetual: 4 plants, three in 4" peat pots, one still in pellet but is now growing.
Planted 2.5 Weeks Ago
  • Strawberries, Quinault (Everbearing): 16 Plants in Strawburbia...a three-decker strawberry pot my sons and I built, aptly named by my 11 year old. We cut a 1/4" off the roots of the starters and soaked them in water before planting. These are just starting to produce new growth. One plant I rescued in a pot under the grow lights. It's flourishing, so it makes me worry a bit about my outside plants. I may have to replant those after the frost date based on the comparison of the two.
  • Strawberries, Allstar (June Bearing): 8 plants in Strawburbia. Again, not a lot of new growth yet.
Planted 1.5 Weeks Ago
  • Delphiniums: 6 pellets planted...but the pellets succomed to mold. Dang. I let it get to damp in there.
  • Sunflowers: Two seeds planted in 4" peat pots...one 2" sprout
  • Cornflowers: One 4" plant in mid-sized pot (the roots are loooong on these things), three 2" plants in 4" peat pots.
  • Alyssium: 6 pellets planted...all six have now been moved to pots.
  • Heartease (Wild Pansy): 6 pellets planted...all sprouted.
  • Nasturtium, Jewel-Mix: 6 pellets planted...five 4-5" plants in 4" peat pots.
  • Thyme: 6 pellets planted...this sprounted big time. They're all now 3-4" tall in pots.
  • Cumin: 2 pellets planted...no noticeable germination. Fell to mold and I composted them.
  • Andrographis: 2 pellets planted...both now in peat pots, 1" tall. Nice dark green leaves.
  • Chamomile, Roman: Two pellets planted, many 1" plants (needs thinned).
  • Rosemary: 3 pellets planted...nothing so far.
  • Cilantro: One 4" peat pot planted...nothing.
  • Summer Squash: Two 4" peat pots planted...nothing.
  • Basil, Sweet: 3 pellets planted...all now in pots.
  • Basil, Thai: One 4" peat pot planted...nothing.
  • Dill: One 4" peat pot planted...nothing.
  • Spinach, Medania: 6 pellets planted...three now in pots.
  • Eggplant, Black Beauty: Two 4" peat pots planted...nothing.
  • Blueberry, Blueray: Purchased 18" plant in container, transplanted to larger container and added acidic elements to soil for the correct pH.
  • Blueberry, Souther Highbush Mist: Purchased 14" plant in container, transplanted to larger container and added acidic elements to soil for the correct pH.
  • Blackberry: Purchased 10" plant in container, transplanted to larger container and added acidic elements to soil for the correct pH.
  • Sweet Peas: 6 pellets planted after soaking seeds overnight. These are exploding, some now more than 6" tall.
All in all, it seems my pellets work great, but seeds planted alone in peat pots don't do much at all. So far, only a sunflower has worked that way. I think I'll stick with the pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I need advise, critique and encouragement. I don't need spam, filth or hate.